Saturday, September 20, 2008

The difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats would never stop being friends with someone for being a Republican

Remember when I said I wasn't that political? My blog post earlier this month has got me thinking, and while I still don't consider myself political, I do think I am more historically-minded.

I was called yesterday by a lady I like and respect, asking me if I would join her in campaigning for Obama. Me? The person that didn't vote in the 2000 election because I didn't feel I was qualified to make such a decision? (Note to self: others dumber than you made the decision, so you are most definitely qualified.)

Debbie, the caller, said she spoke with another woman I like and respect and got my name from her. Wow. People think I'm smart? Maybe.

So, there is an Obama sign in my yard right now. I will be working next Saturday while pushing my adorable daughter in her stroller, hoping to secure hearts, minds, and votes for Barack Obama.

Why am I doing this? Again, politics is merely PR, but I like what I see in Barack Obama. It's the big picture of things. It's the hope he's given to people, much like another young senator in the 1960s...John F. Kennedy.

It's not a political thing for me. It's history in the making, and I'm going to be a part of history. And my young daughter will be part of history, too. I mean, how cool would it have been to have someone say "My mom campaigned for Kennedy in the 1960s and brought me along in the stroller?"

To me, John McCain is just more of the same. We need a change. Is change always good? No one knows until it happens. That's what I love about change.

Have I mentioned my husband is a Republican? He claims he's going to put a sign in the yard for McCain right next to my Obama sign. He doesn't remember to pick up milk or when his doctor appointments are. He said he's going to pick up a sign in Madison at J.B. Van Hollen's office.

Do I look worried?

I'm sure he'll talk about it, but actually do it? What's that word lawyers throw around...precedent. He's not going to do shit.

I want to make Annie a shirt for next Saturday that says "My Mama's for Obama. (My Dad's a pain and is for McCain.)"

No comments: